Brian Wilson Performance, San Francisco-- Review

Brian Wilson Performance

Davies Symphony Hall, San Francisco

September 11, 2015




I just have to say something about this.  It was so good.  I wasn't planning to attend.  I was talking with a friend to whom I was advocating the film Love and Mercy (also reviewed in this blog).  He happens to be a nightclub singer, who sings a lot of the good old stuff, and he told me this story that he had once opened for the Beach Boys long ago in Dallas.  It was one of the shows where Glen Campbell filled in for Brian Wilson, who at that time was becoming increasingly withdrawn and averse to public performance.  I couldn't verify the story about my friend doing the opening act, but it is true that Glen Campbell began filling in for Brian Wilson and touring with the Beach Boys in Dallas in late 1964.   Anyway, I mentioned to my friend that Brian Wilson had this upcoming concert scheduled at Davies Hall.  The Jazz Center had sent me the brochure.   I told him I wasn't planning to go.  I had already spent enough money on concert tickets, and furthermore had low expectations for the show.  He prevailed on me, "Oh, let's go.  Go on.  Get the tickets.  It will be good just for historical interest, if nothing else." 

Historical interest is not one of my normal criterion for selecting a concert to attend, but I got the tickets and we went.  It was a fabulous show.  I'm very glad we were there and part of it.   That band Brian Wilson put together is a killer rock and roll band.  In terms of musicianship, they are probably better than the original Beach Boys.  There were twelve guys on the stage including Brian and Al Jardine.  Two percussionists, three guitars, two keyboards, a sax and flute guy, plus Blondie Chaplin, who played off and on throughout the show.  Chaplin goes back to the old days, and has played for many years with the Rolling Stones.  Does that add up to twelve?  Who am I leaving out?  Maybe I didn't count Matt Jardine, Al Jardine's son, who played guitar and did some vocals.  That lead guitarist in the back --  I believe his name is David Marks, but I didn't write it down and there were no credits in the program --  I throw you a bouquet. 

This band had power and verve and energy.  This was the real stuff.  They were a driving rock and roll band that really brought the classic Beach Boys songs to a resounding new level of vigor.  They started with Heroes and Villains, and then Don't Worry Baby, Wouldn't It Be Nice and so on.  There were lot of Brian's new songs from his most recent album, No Pier Pressure.  I have to say, the new stuff just isn't in the same league with the classics, but it was a good balance.  The sound was good.  Not too loud.   There were only a few technical glitches that I noticed.  This concert really worked.  Brian's voice is holding up for the most part.  He struggled some with God Only Knows and Good Vibrations.  He doesn't get those high notes like he used to.  Al Jardine's voice was strong and capable, and the instrumentalists filling in the background vocals were excellent.  The question is not did they do the Beach Boys justice, but do the Beach Boys do them justice. 

I didn't keep track of the set list.  I never like to keep track of anything at a concert, so here is what I can remember.  I'm sure it is incomplete and these are not in order.  I'm sorry, but I don't know the names of the newer songs. 

Heroes & Villains
Don't Worry Baby
Little Deuce Coupe
Surfer Girl
Wouldn't It Be Nice
God Only Knows
Good Vibrations
Surfin USA
In My Room
Sloop John B
Help Me Rhonda (encore)
Barbara Ann


I would like to pin gold stars on In My Room, Help Me Rhonda, which was a knock out, Surfer Girl, Little Deuce Coupe,  Barbara Ann, Don't Worry Baby.  Everything was top flight.  There was nothing weak in this concert.  It closed with Brian at the piano doing Love and Mercy from the recent film.  Great night.  Thanks, Brian.